Centenary Timeline

February 1915Organisation now known as Royal Blind joins National Advisory Council established to support British war blinded returning to UK from World War One.
March 1915 - Royal Blind establishes sister charity Scottish War Blinded to focus on providing rehabilitation and vocational skills training to blinded soldiers returning to Scotland from the Western Front.
April 1915 - Scottish War Blinded’s inaugural committee meeting takes place at Nicholson Street on Monday 14 April 1915 setting out the charity's strategic objectives.
May 1915 - Scottish War Blinded works with sister charity Royal Blind to provide rehabilitation and vocational skills training in handcrafts from Nicholson Street and Craigmillar Park.
January 1916 - Scottish war Blinded approve draft letter of application to the War Department for recognition as the Scottish National Institution for the Rehabilitation and Training of war blinded.
February 1916 - Scottish War Blinded signs a five year lease for Newington House on Blackett Avenue, Edinburgh as the charity’s initial permanent residence.
March 1916 - Scottish War Blinded welcomes the first blinded soldiers to Newington House who are provided with accommodation, rehabilitation and vocational skills training.
April 1916 - An After-Care department is established to support Scottish War Blinded members to lead independent lives in communities across Scotland upon completion of rehabilitation and vocational skills training.
November 1928 - Scottish War Blinded provides permanent employment opportunities for members in Newington House workshops upon completion of rehabilitation and training.
March 1929 - Scottish War Blinded opens workshop premises at Queen’s Crescent Glasgow to provide permanent employment for members residing in the West of Scotland.
April 1935 - Scottish War Blinded opens Blenheim House in North Berwick providing members and their families with a two week annual holiday.
September 1943 - Scottish War Blinded acquires Linburn House in Wilkieston, West Lothian to provide accommodation, rehabilitation and vocational skills training to war blinded returning to Scotland from World War II.
August 1946 - Plans are announced by Scottish War Blinded to re-develop Linburn estate into a scheme of modern workshops, housing, recreation hall and hostel.
May 1954 - The Linburn Scheme is officially opened. Vocational skills training and permanent employment is provided in seven new workshops including metal, cane, leather, plastics, woodwork, lampshades and wire.
April 1963 - Provisions are made for elderly/respite care at the Linburn Hostel for older Scottish War Blinded members, many of whom had retired from Newington House and Queen's Crescent.
March 1967 - A period of modernisation at Queen’s Crescent is completed, introducing new vocational skills, equipment and dedicated showroom.
May 1988 - Scottish War Blinded changes its constitution to grant admissions from blinded servicemen and women from conflicts including Malaya, Korea, Aden and Northern Ireland.
September 1998 - Scottish War Blinded’s after-care service launches a programme of reunion lunch events to bring members closer together in communities across Scotland.
January 2007 - Scottish War Blinded introduces a new category of membership for former members of the Armed Forces who developed significant visual impairments in subsequent later life.
April 2010 - Pilot project launches in the Edinburgh, Lothian and Grampian areas with the aim of providing emotional, financial, practical and social support to members as well as developing partnerships with local support agencies.
February 2011 - Scottish War Blinded officially opens the Linburn Centre on the grounds of the former Linburn Scheme providing rehabilitation, activities and social opportunities for members.
March 2012 - Scottish War Blinded launches an Outreach Service to provide free support and assistance to visually impaired veterans in communities across Scotland.
January 2015 - Scottish War Blinded announces it will build a new day centre in Paisley to provide rehabilitation, activities and social opportunities for members in the West of Scotland.
February 2015 - Work began on the construction of a new sports hall and housing for members at the Linburn Centre which will be officially opened in December 2015. 
December 2015 - Centernary Hall and four new bungalows are officially opened by the Duke of Buccleuch at a celebration event.
 

Contact form

To request a call back to refer someone you know or to ask for more information on our services please submit your contact details below.