Thurso Townswomen's Guild Donate Funds to Scottish War Blinded

Posted: 31/03/2014 | Scottish War Blinded

The Thurso Townswomen Guild recently raised a fantastic £300.00 for Scottish War Blinded as a result of their annual coffee morning.

Isabel Cross describes the guild’s long association of raising funds for Scottish War Blinded:

Thurso Townswomen's Guild Donate Funds to Scottish War Blinded“The Thurso Guild has been fund raising for Scottish War blinded since 1946.  In April 1986 Mr A  MacKenzie from Linburn workshops came with his wife to visit us in Thurso.  He spoke about the work being done at Linburn and also showed a film of the work.  On that occasion the Guild was able to present him with a cheque for £465 which was the proceeds from a Whist Drive, raffle and Sales Table.  A further amount of £37.70 was made from the sale of wire cooling trays which Mr MacKenzie had brought.

In September 1986 Mr and Mrs MacKenzie returned to Thurso to present the Guild with a bench made at Linburn to mark 40 years of fund raising by the Guild.  We decided to present the bench to Naver House, a local Residential home for the elderly.   Although this home has been closed it was taken to Bayview House, its new Home in Thurso.

The money raised in the years 1946 – 2009 was always from a Whist Drive but we found that coffee mornings were becoming more popular.  Since 2010 we have used this method.”

We offer our sincere thanks for the continued support of the Thurso Townswomen’s Guild.

Back
Back