Nicolson Street Workshops

As a result of increasing public support, Royal Blind purchased permanent premises at No. 58 Nicolson Street in 1806. Male trainees from Shakespeare Square continued to learn handcrafts producing mattresses, mats, brushes and baskets which could be purchased by the public visiting the showroom.

In 1822, a further premises at No. 38 Nicolson Street was purchased to provide women with an opportunity to develop employability skills producing a wide range of knitted and sewed products. 

By 1880 product sales had reached the sum of £18,275.00 and many inmates had flourished developing as highly skilled workers who could now contribute substantially towards their own support. The quality of their work was recognised at many international exhibitions receiving a host of gold medal awards.

 

Continue to the history of education provided by Royal Blind.


Back