Scottish War Blinded Centenary Bowling Tour

Scottish War Blinded members visited bowling clubs across Scotland throughout the 2015 summer season. The tour recognised that bowling continues today to be an important recreational activity, first played by Scottish War Blinded members in 1915.

A bowling green was established at the charity's initial residence at Newington House in 1916 to provide members a welcome break from rehabilitation and vocational skills training programmes.

In 1916, members were assisted by 'directors' who clapped their hands to indicate the location of the targets bowl as well as holding white cardboard to contrast against the black bowls.

Today, Scottish War Blinded members use a line down the centre of the rink to provide a point of origin for a clock system to assist with accuracy.

Sighted bowlers from host bowling clubs also used this system during the matches to develop an appreciation of bowling with a visual impairment.

Match reports:

  1. Baxter Park Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded
  2. Whitehall Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded
  3. Abbeyview Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded
  4. Jessfield Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded
  5. Ardgowan Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded
  6. Abbotsford Bowling Club versus Scottish War Blinded