A History of Scottish War Blinded

Scottish War Blinded was founded in 1915. 

Newington House

In March 1915, the organisation that is now known as Royal Blind decided to take steps to help veterans blinded during World War One. A committee was set up that recommended the establishment of a centre to provide rehabilitation and training to blinded soldiers and sailors.

More

Linburn House & Workshops

In May 1943, the Board of Scottish War Blinded recommended locating a new premises to accommodate the growing numbers of blinded soldiers returning from the Second World War to operate alongside Newington House. By September, the Board approved a lease agreement for Linburn House, situated in Wilkieston, West Lothian for 10 years with an option to purchase at £300 per annum.

More

Queen's Crescent, Glasgow

In 1928, Scottish War Blinded purchased premises at Number 2 Queen’s Crescent, Glasgow providing vocational skills training and permanent employment for members in cane weaving, mat-making and boot repairing. Although non-residential at Queen’s Crescent, the initiative allowed many members in the West of Scotland to secure a wage without the need to travel great distances and enjoy the same camaraderie experienced at Newington House.

More

Scottish War Blinded Today

In 2007, Scottish War Blinded expanded its' free membership provision to enable us to support veterans who have develop a visual impairment after their service. It doesn't matter when they served or for how long they served. Nor does it now matter how they lost their sight. We can help. 

More